Wednesday, April 7, 2010

Adventures in bottlefeeding.

Well, that didn't work! I'm exclusively breastfeeding Rachel, which is fine and dandy when I don't mind toting her around with me wherever I go. However, there are some things coming up that I really can't take her to. So, we're trying to introduce a bottle. Well, let's just say that someone isn't too happy about that and it's not me! I had to go up to the church tonight to do activity days for the boys and while I can take Rachel with me, I just don't see anything appropriate about nursing in a room full of 8-11 year old boys. So, I left her home with Joe. I pumped earlier today and had a nice little bottle ready for him to give her while I was gone. I fed her a few times right before I left to make sure she was nice and full and headed off all by myself for, I think, maybe the second time since she's been born! When I walked back in the door just over 2 1/2 hours later, my poor baby was sweaty and red in the face from crying because she was so sad that I was gone. She took the bottle for a little bit but, according to Joe, let all the milk dribble out of her mouth and gagged on the nipple. So, needless to say, it wasn't a success. I guess we try again in a few days. It's kind of a catch 22. I only need her to take a bottle maybe a couple of times a month. But, in order to get her to take a bottle a few times a month, I'm going to have to try and give her a bottle much more often so she'll accept it. :( What to do, what to do?

4 comments:

  1. I had that same problem with Amaya, we had to try SO many different bottles and nipples before we found one that worked for her. I rarely left her, but when I needed to she always ended up frustrated and hungry because she wanted ME, not some bottle! Good luck!

    ReplyDelete
  2. just keep trying.. I'm sorry shes making it hard, but again. I would try a variety of bottles. Good luck

    ReplyDelete
  3. I hear ya. I am weaning Logan on Sunday and have NEVER introduced a bottle. I'm hoping it only takes a day. Good luck!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Not that this helps you now, but I find that introducing a bottle early on (like in the first week or so) is the key. I know they tell you NOT to do that, but I have bottle and breastfed 2 babies now and that always works. They need to know early on that both things work. I didn't give Georgie a bottle every day- just once a week at first- and she continued to nurse great. Keep trying. She'll hopefully get it eventually!

    ReplyDelete